Sunday 23 August 2015

The 46th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: Gems, The Awakening!!

Does that sound cheesy?  I think it's cheesy.  I couldn't get the title right, sometimes you know what you want to say, what you want to call something but it just doesn't quite come out the way you want it.  So this broadcast is now called Gems, The Awakening.

I figured it's been a while since I shared some of comics that I consider Gems.  Sometimes when you look through your comic book collection, you'll find that one, maybe two or more titles that means a lot to you.  To other collectors, it's not what they would call a valuable comic but to you, it's a Gem and a Gem that's worth keeping.  I came across a few recently. 

When you find them, it's time a time capsule, sometimes you remember when you bought this issue and where.  Sometimes you just can't remember which just adds to the value of the comic.  I love coming across these gems and I love that I'll still come across them.  Now for the 46th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast, it's Gems: The Awakening.
Now anyone who's read my broadcasts would know that I'm a Marvel Guy.  But there are occasions that I would read a few DC Comics and this was one of those instances.  For this issue I can't recall how I got a hold of this issue.  I wasn't a huge Legion of Super Heroes fan.  I wasn't familiar with this part of the DC Comics Universe but there it it, Legion Of Super Heroes # 7 from February of 1985.  I think that maybe a friend of mine gave me this issue, I can't recall.  I kept this issue because of one reason, the artist.  Issue # 7 was written by Paul Levitz, the cover and interior art were done by Steve Lightle and Larry Mahlsted.  I love Steve Lightle's artwork.  I remember first seeing his work on Classic X Men or was that X Men Classics.  He did the reimagined covers and also sometimes the back up stories.  He also did the artwork for an issue of X Factor.  If you ever have a chance to read Legion of Super Heroes, then you'll know what I'm talking about, his art is just beautiful.  That reason and that reason alone makes this comic a Gem.  It's sad to note that after some many Legion Comics published over the years that DC Comics cancelled their NEW 52Legion Of Super Heroes title.
Now this is a Gem. Does anyone remember this Gem?  The Adventures of Captain America?  This is a beauty of a comic book.  This was a prestige format comics with an embossed cover.  What makes this comics special to me is the way the origins of Captain America was told.  The Adventures of Captain America was released in September of 1991.  A little over a year ago, the first Captain America movie was released.  Remember that one, starring Matt Salinger and Ronny Cox and featuring Scott Paulin as The Red Skull who by the way was Italian (??)  That movie didn't do very well at the box office.  As a matter of fact the film did not get a US theatrical release when first made in 1990, but was released internationally. It finally received a limited theatrical release in the United States in July 2011 (to promote the reboot Captain America The First Avenger)

I saw the movie and it was....bad. I always thought that The Adventures of Captain America did a much better job telling the origins of Cap.  It was a better story and the art was excellent.  here's the team behind this masterpiece:  Script:Fabian Nicieza Pencils: Kevin Maguire Inks: Joe Rubinstein Colors: Paul Mounts and Letters: Richard Starkings.  the story was more believable and the art complemented the story making The Adventures Of Captain America a real gem. The Adventures of Captain America was released as a four part Limited Series with part four released in January of 1992.  The only unfortunate thing about this limited series is the uneven quality of the art work.  The first issue was the best, if you ever have a chance to get a copy, have a look at issue # 1, absolutely stunning artwork from Maguire.  Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the other three issues.  Maguire was joined by two other artists and you could see just how uneven the quality of the artwork was.  That was sad to see.
Oh I love this issue, Superman, Man Of Steel # 5.  This comic came from a time when I bought a few issue of this title.  I just bought them in bulk from a mail order company in New Jersey.  I liked this Superman title mainly because of Jon Bogdanove's artwork.  This issue was called The Curse of The Atomic Skull.  Written by Louise Simonson, Art and cover by Bogdanove and Dennis Janke.  Additional artwork was supplied by Superman veteran artist Curt Swan.  In this issue the Atomic Skull fights Superman, mimicking the action of the Atomic Skull fighting on the movie screen.There are two stories running concurrently, the regular story and an old serial movie of the Atomic Skull. Story continued from ACTION COMICS (DC, 1938 series) #670.  This issue is a gem for me because of one other reason.
Well, as you can see, you're supposed to follow the arrow on the cover, that's how you're supposed to read this issue. You have to read it errr on it's side????  I think that's it.
This isn't something new as John Byrne already did an issue of Fantastic Four many years ago where you had to read the entire issue in pretty much the same way.  Still it was fun to read and I remember I loved the Superman issues I bought.  Unfortunately over the years the pages have started to really yellow and the book seems to have a lot of damage on it.  i think it's due to the many times I read this issue.  Still it is a gem.
This is Captain America # 50 from February of 2002.  The cover was penciled, inked and colored by Gene Ha.  This issue sports a nice glossy cover and features a number of stories.  The first one was called Silent Night, Silent Morning written and penciled by Dan Jurgens, inked by Bob Layton.  This story is part of the 'Nuff Said month, where the stories were told without words.  Next was an eight page story written by Kathryn Kuder, featuring pencils, inks and colors by Stuart Immonen.  Next was a story called: To The Core where Cap uses S.H.I.E.L.D. truth serum to show Sharon Carter the truth about himself.   This story featured Script: Dan Jurgens.  Pencils: Dan Jurgens; John Romita; Ron Frenz; Rick Veitch; Sal Buscema; Mike Zeck and Inks: Bob Layton; Bruce Timm; Tom Palmer; Sal Buscema; Al Gordon. This issue featured two to three more stories as well which makes Issue # 50 of Captain America a real Gem.
Excalibur # 42  Featuring The Riotous Return of...You Know Who! Ha!!  I love this issue.  I was so happy to see this issue again.  In this issue, The Technet devise a foolproof plan for defeating Excalibur and send them a breakfast surprise that blows off the top of the lighthouse; During the ensuing battle between Excalibur and the Technet, a member of the Time Variance Authority shows up and reconfigures Widget so he will stop messing with the time stream; Opal calls the Technet off of Rachel and exiles them to earth so they ask if they can move into the lighthouse to repair the damage that they caused; Captain Britain reluctantly agrees.  But the main thing for me was the return of Alan Davis as writer and penciler and Mark Farmer as Inker.   I loved how funny this title was under Chris Claremont, I was sad when both he and Alan Davis left but when I read that with # 42 Alan Davis would return, I didn't hesitate for a second to buy this issue, it's a fun read.  hey with a title like A Hatch Is Plotted, you know you're in for some funny stories.  Another Gem I'm keeping.

Well that's it for this edition of The Co(s)mic comic Book Broadcast.  Thanks for dropping by, I'll be back with another broadcast soon, so drop by anytime.  Thank you very much for all your support towards this blog of mine, I really appreciate it.  Thank you, see you again next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...