Friday 24 July 2015

The 40th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: Superman: Man of Tomorrow!!

I meant to update my broadcast a few days ago but it was the holidays and I had some time off from work, I wanted to jump right into the blog BUT I got sidetracked (as usual) which is not unusual for me.  To make matters worse for the past two maybe three days, it's been crazy for me as I must have eaten something that just didn't agree with me.  It's been more times spent in the men's room rather than more time in front of the laptop.  But I'm feeling better...well I hope I am.

Welcome to the 40th (Woo Hoo) Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast.  When I started this blog, I wasn't even sure I would get to write a 40th anything let alone write about comics.  It hasn't been easy but It's been an experience talking about and sharing my collection of comics and my experience with you.  It was a very rocky start for me (sometimes it still is) but I hope I'm getting the hang of it.

Okay, like I mentioned before, I am a fan of Superman.  I've collected quite a few Superman related titles and I've mentioned this in my previous broadcast.  For this edition, I wanted to show you a few more titles I bought over the years starting with this one, Superman: Man Of Tomorrow.
Here it is, Superman: Man Of Tomorrow, when I heard that they were going to release another Superman title, I was excited, mostly because of the team they had on this one.  The cover is done by Tom Grummett and Brett Breeding.  By the way Brett Breeding also colored this beautiful cover.  With the release of this title, that meant that in 1995, there was a Superman related title on sale every week of the month.  Roger Stern was the writer for this title and I couldn't be happier, Stern took over the writing duties of Superman following the departure of John Byrne and guided the adventures of the Man of Steel for quite a few issues.  I'm also a great fan of Tom Grummett and when they combined his pencils and the Inks of Brett Breeding, it was to me the coming together of a great team.  Oh in this first issue, Superman returns to Metropolis, still searching for Jimmy Olsen, and finds that Lexcorp is under new management. But he doesn't yet know that Lex himself has been restored to health. Oh the storyline would ultimately lead to another death in the Superman mythos.  The Villain Conduit was introduced which leads us to this issue:
Superman # 100: The Death Of Clark Kent.  when I first heard about this storyline, I was wondering: Wait a minute they killed off Superman and brought him back, now they're gonna kill em again.  Talk about flogging a dead horse but I found out this wasn't the case.  In this issue, Kenny Braverman aka
Conduit lets Superman know that he has figured out the secret of his double identity, then abducts Jimmy Olsen. While the Kents prepare to go into hiding, Conduit threatens Clark's love. While Superman looks to protect Lois, the Rosses receive a mysterious gift. Superman realizes Conduit meant Lana, not Lois, and arrives just in time to save his childhood pals. When Superman tracks down Conduit, the villain threatens his parents. Superman speeds to save his parents and afterwards decides that they all must abandon their former lives.  The cover to this issue was done by Dan Jurgens and Joe Rubinstein.  There are two different versions of the cover, the one you see here features something they call Prismatic enhancement. I just like it cause it's real shiny.  here's what the other one looks like.
This version is by Jurgens and Breeding.  I had to make a choice between getting this version and the one with the enhancement.  I went with the enhanced version.
Now we all know that Superman died at the hands of Doomsday.  Well after he came back, Superman fought Doomsday a second time.  Superman: Hunter/Prey was a prestige format 3 part mini series.  I bought all three issues just to see what the storyline was all about.  I'm glad I did as I liked this three parter by Dan Jurgens and Brett Breeding.  what I forgot to show you was the back of this book, it's a wrap around concept, so there's more to the cover, that issue # 1, here's # 2 and # 3 all by Dan Jurgens and Brett Breeding, colors by Gregory Wright.
Nice covers from a time when Superman had a mullet.  I wonder who thought that was a good idea. 
The one thing about comics and the people who create them is that they're always changing, constantly.  After the success of a few major storylines, the creative team of the Superman Titles were let go, there was a major major shake up.  So much so that a few of these creators left under left under some less than friendly situations.  Out with the old team and in with the new, that's what happened when the new Superman Editors brought in some new blood to re-energize Superman. Kinda like what they did when they brought John Byrne over to Superman in 1987.  One of the new artists they introduced was Ed McGuinness.  I liked his big brawny rendition of Superman when he took over the title.  Just look at that cover, Superman # 154 which featured some great artwork from Ed McGuinness and Cam Smith and also some pretty nifty 3D CGI artwork as well.  Pretty cool stuff.
You can probably tell I like shiny comics.  I love this cover by Ed McGuinness and Cam Smith. This variant of Superman # 166 is just beautiful.  The issue is titled: The Truth About Krypton!  In this issue, A ship from Krypton brings to the Kent farm a rod giving off a faint signal much like readings Prof. Hamilton has been getting from within the Phantom Zone. The professor and John Henry Irons strap Superman into a device to translate the signals from the isobar directly into Superman's mind. In this way, Superman learns the "true" story of Krypton's last days from his father Jor-El. Superman makes plan to follow the signal back through the Phantom Zone to Jor-El's Krypton, and Lois insists on going with him.  So with this issue, Jeph Loeb just wipes the slate clean and just throws out years of stories about Superman's home.  I didn't like the story he concocted because I didn't like the changes he had made but more changes wee made and perhaps will be made as to Superman's origins in times to come, so again comics and their creators are changing, constantly.

Thanks for taking the time to drop by and reading my thoughts about comics books, I appreciate your visiting my blog.  I hope you'll keep on reading and that you enjoy what I post and share.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Again as usual, please drop by anytime for more on the Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast, remember you're always welcome here.  Until next time, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...