Wednesday 15 July 2015

The 38th Co(s)mic omic Book Broadcast: Superman The Man of Steel.

No, I'm not talking about the Zack Snyder Man Of Steel.  No, this edition of the broadcast is not about that movie.  Don't get me wrong, I did watch it.  In my humble opinion, it was slightly better than Superman Returns but I thought Man Of Steel was just too dark for me.  Maybe it was because of the way they made a movie almost devoid of color and well, life but I felt the movie was just too dark and for a Super Hero who stand for Truth, Justice and The American Way, well I thought the movie was just a little off the mark.  Here's hoping the Superman Vs Batman Movie will have more color to it, more light.

Okay, welcome to the 38th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: Superman, The Man of Steel.  I am still sorting out my collection of comics, bagging and boarding them when I get the time.  As luck would have it, I had some time to day to sort out these comics and I found that over the years I bought quite a few Superman comics.  if you recall my earlier broadcast: http://thecosmiccomicbookbroadcast.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-twentieth-cosmic-comic-book.html

and this one as well

http://thecosmiccomicbookbroadcast.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-24th-cosmic-comic-book-broadcast.html 

I was talking about a few of the Superman comics I have in my collection. I love those comics and apparently I'm a bigger fan of Superman than I realized.  Here's a few comics Superman Comics I found today.

Anyone remember this comic book?  Let me take you back to July of 1991.  Superman: Man Of Steel was released with a beautiful cover by Jon Bogdanove who penciled, inked and painted this cover.  Beautiful.  in this issue titled Man Of Steel/ Man Of Fire, Cerberus strikes at Metropolis and Superman, Jimmy Olsen rents an apartment, not knowing he's about to be laid off by the Daily Planet, Professor Hamilton examines Mr. Z's gemstone, and the Eradicator is reborn in the sun.  This 1st issue had 48 pages which is unthinkable today.  

Superman: Man Of Steel was written by Louise Simonson, as for the artwork, well let's start with Pencils: Jon Bogdanove ( drew pages 1-6, 9-11, 23); Tom Grummett (did layouts; pages 7, 14, 17-20, 24, 25, 27, 29); Jerry Ordway (did finishes; pages 7, 14, 17-20, 24, 25, 27, 29); Bob McLeod (did pages 12, 13, 16, 21, 22, 26, 33-36); Dan Jurgens (provided the layouts; pages 8, 15, 17, 28, 30-32, 37-40); and Brett Breeding (did finishes; pages 8, 15, 17, 28, 30-32, 37-40)
Let's not forget the Inks: Dennis Janke (pages 1-6, 9-11, 23); Jerry Ordway (pages 7, 14, 17-20, 24, 25, 27, 29); Bob McLeod (pages 12, 13, 16, 21, 22, 26, 33-36); Brett Breeding (pages 8, 15, 17, 28, 30-32, 37-40)
 
This issue featured almost the entire Superman team.  With the release of this issue, this now meant that there would be a Superman title every week of the month. 
This is one of my favorite Superman titles, The Adventures of Superman # 592 which is saying something because at the time I wasn't really following this particular title, I did during the death of Superman and later on but eventually I had to drop this title.  Sure I was reading Superman, Action Comics and so on but I had always missed this title but when it was announced that a new artist was taking over penciling duties for The Adventures Of Superman, I made sure to pre order this issue.  This issue marked the first issue penciled by the late Mike Weiringo.  He was the reason I picked up this Superman title.  I never regretted it.  Never.  His art on this title was superb.  Just look at the cover he drew and inked by Terry Austin.  That is just beautiful.  From this issue on, I followed the Adventures of Superman. Looking back, I'm glad I did, it gave me a chance to enjoy the great artwork of Mike Weiringo.  I collected a few more issue until he left this title and a short after that he signed on to pencil a number of Marvel titles which I'll talk about in future broadcasts.
The Adventures Of Superman # 593 featuring Superman on the cover taking on Plasmus and Shrapnel and that green dude in the background is Chemo!  Again Mike Wieringo on pencils and Terry Austin took care of the inks.  I believe this issue was the prelude to a big storyline called Our Worlds At War.  Titled Our Worlds At War: Suicide Mission,  Superman is accosted by Manchester Black & a crew of his cronies who are 'trying out' their abilties for the US Gov't, presumably to fight whatever is coming. They are also digging up Mongul for part of their operation and the Secretary of Defense isn't telling Lois (his daughter) all she needs to know.
The Adventures Of Superman # 594 featuring a really simple cover but as they always say, a picture is worth a thousand words and boy this cover had a lot to say, drawn by Mike Wieringo, this time the inker is Jose Marzan Jr.  In this issue, as part of Luthor's Suicide Squad project, Doomsday is released to face the threat of Imperiex. But Imperiex himself finally arrives, incinerates Doomsday, and dispatches Superman.  the thing for me about this issue was Mike Wieringo's art.  As usual he delivers a top notch job. 

What a great cover from Mike Wieringo and Jose Marzan Jr.  The Adventures Of Superman # 595 featuring Superman taking on Grayven, Braniac and the Parademons.  In this issue Superman takes on Darkseid & holds his own as Apokolips rains down on the Earth. Braniac 13 seizes his chance & fires as well as Warworld comes to life and Lena tells the President that he will understand the truth soon. Luthor talks about General Zod's role in the NWO and Superman decides to kill Braniac.  Again, artistic genius that he truly is Mike Wieringo delivered another great issue along with Jose Marzan Jr.  By the way this issue also featured art by Bill Sienkiewicz  found on Page 9.
Another great cover by Mike Wieringo and Jose Marzan Jr. for Adventures Of Superman # 596.  This issue was a break from all the action.  In this issue we see a slight change in Superman's costume as he adopts a black background for the S on his chest instead of the usual yellow.  I could be wrong but if memory serves, he did this as a way of mourning the loss of lives during the Our Worlds At War Storyline as the cost of this was weighed heavily of the Man Of Steel.  

Thinking back, I'm thankful that I made the decision to buy these titles.  They were and they still are  a treat for me to read them.  Today's Superman in the current DC Comics is a little different not just from the costume standpoint but from many other areas as well.  I'm glad I bought and read these titles which are just well.....super.

The Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast will be back soon with more musings and thoughts from a comic book fanatic, yours truly.  I hope you drop by again.  Until next time, as usual take care!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...