Monday 25 May 2015

The 24th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: Superman: The Adventure Continues!

Welcome to the 24th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast, a blog about comics, a blog about reading, enjoying and collecting comics.  I have always been a Marvel guy, I love Marvel comics but I also read a lot of DC Comics, love them too in particular Superman.  I started following Superman after I heard that my favourite writer/artist John Byrne would take over the title.  I was over the moon when the news broke.  He left Fantastic Four and Marvel Comics for a while.   I waited patiently and finally got the 6 issue Man Of Steel series and the first issue of Superman!  Here's the cover for Man of Steel # 1 (variant edition)
There you have it, Man Of Steel # 1.  The Legend Begins.  It was 1986, DC Comics brought John Byrne on as writer and artist to clean up the barnacles on their flagship title and spruce up the Man of Steel and boy did he ever.  It all started with this cover, this is the one I always coveted, the one I wanted in my collection but I never got this one, when I ordered Man of Steel from a store in new Jersey, I got this one instead. It's not too shabby, it's a great cover as well but I kinda had my heart set on the variant cover.
 Nothing wrong with this cover but that limited edition variant was always and still is high on my "to buy" list.  I personally think Byrne did a great job on Superman, too bad his stint was kinda brief.   In the first issue of Man Of Steel, we were told about the origin of Kal El/ Clark Kent.  Lara and Jor-El discuss their unborn son, and how Jor-El intends to protect him. As Krypton begins its final eruptions, Jor-El sends Kal-El to Earth.  I'll do a separate broadcast on the Man of Steel Mini Series soon.  Mow after the six issue mini series, we had this!
Yep, Superman # 1.  I just love the blurb on the cover:  It's your first issue of Superman and it could be your LAST!! Written and penciled by John Byrne, Inked by his long time collaborator Terry Austin, Colors by Tom Zukio and Letters by John Costanza.  I was so happy to see that Byrne and Austin were on Superman, in fact Austin stayed on for 3 issues and then Karl Kesel would come on as regular inker.  Now that combination was awesome.  We'll talk about that in another broadcast.   This issue is called Heart of Stone featuring Metallo.  Metallo is badly beating Superman... and then he mysteriously disappears.  What happened?  Why did he dissapear, well let's say it's because of a gentlemen who's name rhymes with err Rex Ruthor.  (Don't wanna give anything away here).  This issue tells the origin of Metallo and also reveals certain clues to questions asked in the Man of Steel Mini Series.

This issue is also significant because Byrne talks about THE MAN OF STEEL mini-series, about SUPERMAN #1, and about concerns he is "Marvelizing" Superman in the Indexer Notes, interesting read.  The eighties were interesting times for me as a comic book fan, changes were coming,titles and characters were changing, some for the better and some not so much but Superman has always been a great favourite. To be honest, I don't know if I like the current NEW 52 Superman, maybe it's because I'm so old school but reading Superman back in the day was just something else, it was great, over the years creators come and go and the character changes bit by bit but I still like this version.  what about you?  Thanks for taking the time to read the Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast, follow me if you like but always remember, you're always welcome here, until next time, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...