Sunday 31 May 2015

The 27th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: The Submariner!!

Wow, it's already the 27th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast!  Wow, time really flies.  Thanks for dropping by for another broadcast.  It's been a while since I last posted something on this blog.  I've been busy, well, I'm going to be busy in the next few days so i thought I'll take the time to share with you what I found the other day.  I mentioned in the previous broadcast, I moved out some comics from a closet and found that alot and I do mean a lot of them are in bad shape.  I decided after alot of thinking that I needed to do something it.  So I made an order for some plastic bags and backing boards.  Hope they'll get here soon.

And as I wait for the arrival of the bags and boards, I continue to discover some old comics I bought, some are in okay condition, some not really.  It's been fun reading these comics again.  reminded me why I started collecting in the first place.  I love the art and the story, well just about everything you find in a comic book.

Just a few days ago as I was checking out my collection, I found this:
This is Namor, The Sub Mariner # 13 titled: Reap The Whirlwind.  The year was 1990 when Marvel Comics launched a number of new comics and the one I followed was Namor, The Submariner.  This issue was written, penciled and inked by John Byrne.  John Byrne was the reason why I followed this series.  I loved his artwork from Uncanny X-Men and when he jumped over to Fantastic Four, I bought as many of FF as I could.  The list of my favourite Byrne comics are long, it includes Alpha Flight, Superman and just a whole lot more.

Next I ran across this issue:
This is Namor Issue 11.  This issue was titled: Reunion.


Namor has been captured and imprisoned in a steam-like container to slowly sap his strength. He is forced to watch one of his captors torment Ann Raymond. Enraged, Namor summons the last of his strength and shatters his bonds. He savages all of his tormentors. However, he is hallucinating that his opponents are Nazis from World War II. The effects of his steam torture appear to be having this effect upon the Sea-Prince.

Back in New York City, Misty Knight has had surgery on her severed bionic arm ar the Howard Stark Memorial Hospital. She and Colleen Wing appear to still be puzzled by the man New York that claims to be Danny Rand.

In Berlin, one of Namor's of attackers’ hits him in the back of the head, and Namor falls. However, he sees coming to his rescue Union Jack, Spitfire, and Namora, all heroes from World War II as well. How can this be? To Be Continued Next Issue...

Now I know I have more Namors laying around somewhere, I just can't find them. Yet.  Why did i decide to feature these two issues?  Well, it was around this time that John Byrne changed his art style to a style a lot of people called his Zip a Tone style.  I don't think that's the official way to describe his "new" style at the time but it was certainly different, one he also used for a different title he wrote and drew, OMAC for DC Comics. Well, some people liked his new style, some didn't.  I believe his adopted his new style starting from Issue four of this title.

Namor, The Sub Mariner was dubbed Marvel's First and Mightiest Mutant, in this series Namor learns that his past personality fluctuations have been caused by an oxygen imbalance in his blood due to his hybrid human/Atlantean makeup.  Namor uses a recycling device to correct the problem. Namor decides to change the direction of his life. Using the vast wealth of sunken treasure, he launches a new company called Oracle Incorporated, which draws the attention of the power-hungry Marrs Twins.  This was an interesting concept at the time and this series also introduced a new young hot shot artist to fans as well, an artist named Jae Lee.

I enjoyed this series alot when it was released, tried my best to follow the issues as best I could but when Byrne left, i dropped it as well.  Now I know I bought issue One of Namor but I can't find right now.  But here's a pic of Issue One I found online.
That is just beautiful.  I like this cover because the colors were different, it's almost as if they used a water colour effect to it, well I liked it the moment I saw it.  I hope I'll come across this issue, definitely a keeper.

I'll talk about which comic first introduced me to the art of John Byrne in a future edition of the broadcast, so look out for it.  Before I go, if you like, you can follow the Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast here on blogspot.com and also if you have the time, go to facebook and like my facebook page, it's facebook.com/thecosmiccomicbookbroadcast/



If you want, please like the page.  Thanks for dropping by for The Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast, I'll talk with you again next time but remember, drop by anytime, you're always welcome here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...