Monday 8 June 2015

The 28th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: Mylites!!!



Hi, Welcome to the 28th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast.  Wow, it feels like I've been away for ages.  It's been a while since I updated the broadcast, I was busy the past week and a half (I think) with a little side project.  I promised a friend I'd like help out and I did.  That took me away from the broadcast but I am back!!
Okay if you recall, I posted in my earlier broadcast that I finally decided to bite the bullet and get some plastic bags and backing boards for my comics.  I did, I went online and asked a bunch of questions and finally found a supplier.  I asked around a lot and didn't get too any answers, for a while there I had given up but seeing the state of some of my comics, I decided that I had to do something.  Well while I was busy with my project, the mail man came a knocking.  Here's what I got in the mail.
 I was so excited to see this package.  A friend of mine said that he has never seen someone so excited over some plastic bags and backing boards.  Well, I was excited and when I saw the box, I was a little scared too.  I didn't like the bumps and bruises all over the box.  I've known the mail man here to be a little "rough" (that's putting it lightly) with my packages.  I remember a few packages that were damaged inside and outside, more on that story next time.  Well, the package came and I was worried seeing the condition of the box.

























So as you can see, I decided to go with E Gerber.  I went on Youtube and google and just about everywhere else.  Two names came up, Mylites and Polybags.  Well, after a lot of thinking, I decided to go with Mylites.  I contacted E Gerber and they directed me to a guy who sells them.  We struck a deal and he sent them.  I promised to do an unboxing when the Mylites came, okay here we go.


















































The Mylites 2 in my hands...err hand.  Mylites are supposed to be the best.  They're used by the Library of Congress, hey that's a good sales point for me, Okay they're in good condition.  Now the backing boards, did they survive the journey?  Let's see.

























Yep, they look good, I was worried that the edges of the boards would be damaged.  The condition of the box really had me worried.  Yeah I'm a comic book geek, everything has to be in mint condition.  Let's have a closer look.
 The fullbacks are good.  They're all in good condition.  All in all I bought 200 Mylites 2 and 200 fullbacks.  While I was doing my "research" I found out that not all backing boards are acid free which explains what happens to a lot of comics even though they're kept in bags with boards.  I'm hoping the Mylites and Fullbacks can do the job.  So, wanna see some of my comics in the Mylites?  Okay.

































That's Fantastic Four # 2.  Remember Heroes Return, this is the beautiful cover to issue #2 , I've had this for a while without any bags or boards, so this was one of the comics I bagged and boarded almost immediately.  Being a big fan of Alan Davis and Mark Farmer's art in Fantastic Four, I knew I wanted to keep this one.  One thing I noticed is that one the comics is in the bag, the colors almost immediately become more vibrant, it pops and it just becomes even more beautiful, can't explain it.  I like how the cover looks so much better.  I feel better knowing some of my comics are now bagged and boarded. 

































Here's Fantastic Four # 500.  This is one of my most prized comics.  This is part of the great run by Mark Waid, the late Mike Wieringo and Karl Kesel.  Just look at that cover by Mike Weiringo.  Before I placed it in the bag, the cover already looks like a million bucks and now that it's in a mylar bag, it just looks so striking, my picture just doesn't do it justice.  It is that impressive.  This is the Director's Cut, so the cover was special, it was a special cardboard metallic-foil enhanced cover which really pops with the mylar bag.  the art work by Mike Weiringo and Karl Kesel, the colors by Richard Isanove is really striking.  I love looking at this one. 

I am so glad that I decided to buy the Mylites 2 and the Fullbacks.

I was apprehensive at first but I came to the realization that if you love your hobby as in you love what you're collecting, why not spend a bit more and keep them in good condition.  I mean if you spent a lot of time and effort and money buying these comics, it makes sense to keep them in good condition.

Will I get more Mylites, I think I will but after I pay off this batch first.  I've already used up about 100 of the bags and boards.  I'm picking out the best ones to be bagged and boarded.  It's a lot of work and I intend to share more pics in future on the broadcast.

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read what i have to share.  If you have any experiences like mine, share them with me here or you can go to my facebook page, just go to www.facebook.com/thecosmiccomicbookbroadcast/

Drop by again for more talk about comics.  Remember drop by any time, you're always welcome here at the Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...