Thursday 11 June 2015

The 30th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: A mini milestone for the Comic Book Broadcaster.

Wow, the 30th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast.  This is sort of a milestone for me, albeit a small one.  When I first started doing this blog, I wondered to myself whether I could keep this going.  I told myself that if I couldn't keep this blog going, then it wouldn't make any sense for me to start.  Well, start I did and we're now at the 30th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast.

For those of you who are comic book fans and collectors like me, thanks for dropping by and having a look at what I share with you each time.  I just want to share some of the ups and downs I went through as a comic book collector, the highs and lows and believe me there have been a lot.  Most importantly I wanted to share what I have, what I collected and have enjoyed over the years and if I get to learn something, then so much the better.  I thank you for reading my thoughts and comments about my passion, my hobby and I hope you'll keep coming back.  And if you want to follow the broadcast, it wouldn't be a bad thing.  In fact I'd be a happy camper...err collector.

Okay, so what do I have for you this time around, I've found some more gems in my collection, comics that I forget I had.  Looking at them now, I wondered how I got them, who I bought them from, all sorts of questions going thru my mind.  Okay let's start with this gem.
Okay, does anyone remember this title?  Well, as the title reads, this is Charlemagne # 1 published by Defiant Comics in 1994, if memory serves it was released in February of 1994.  The cover was drawn by Adam Pollina.  Not sure who did the colours for the cover, was it Pollina as well?  I'm not too sure.  Charlemagne had a big group of writers and plotters behind it, Jim Shooter (Plot); Philip Nutman (Plot); Adam Pollina (Plot); Deborah Purcell (Plot); D. G. Chichester (Plot; Script) 6 co plotters and 1 scripter.  Adam Pollina also served as penciller and Mike Whiterby as Inker.  The colours were done by Oclair Alberto Silverio who was credited as painter.  if you have read this issue then you would have seen the unique coloring style of Charlemagne.  This series lasted for 5 issues before Defiant ceased publication, the last issue was released in July of 1994. 

Defiant was founded in the wake of Jim Shooter's departure from Valiant. After attempting, unsuccessfully, to retain his partial ownership of Valiant Comics' parent company.  Shooter then founded a new company that included some Valiant artists and writers.

What else did I find, have a look at this:
This is Star Slammers Special released in June of 1996.  When I bought this I was trying to widen my horizon by branching out to other publishers, independents and so on.  I tried Dark Horse, Defiant and Valiant just to name a few.  The Star Slammer special contains a story continued from Star Slammers #4 (Malibu, 1994 series). This was originally intended to be issue #5 of Star Slammers (Malibu, 1994 series).  We all know what happened to Malibu and also their line of comics which had their own following.  The reason I bough this comic?  The answer is Walter Simonson.  Love his artwork and I am a fan of his from his Thor days.  I like his artwork and Star Slammers was a sort of science fiction story, something I wanted to try.  The issue still looks good, definitely a gem I will keep.
That's Turok Dinosaur Hunter # 0 from Valiant.  released in November of 1995, this issue has a wrap around cover which was drawn by Rags Morales.  I think the main attraction for me was the artwork of Rags Morales, yes I am a big fan of his work from his Valiant days to his work on Hawkman.  Issue 0 tells the story of Turok's people, and how Turok and Andar wandered into the Lost Land, and their journey there until the time of Unity.  Written by Tim Truman, Pencils and Inks by Rags Morales.  This comic was from a time when all of Valiant's comics were hot stuff.  They were flying off the shelf, they had some great characters and their talents?  Wow, Barry Windsor Smith, Joe Quesada, Bernard Chang and of course Rags Morales.  Valiant could do now wrong.  At the time.  Fortunately these days Valint is flying high once again with some really excellent comics.
Here's another gem I found from a company that no longer exists.
That's a beautiful cover from Prime Annual # 1: Gross and Disgusting.  What a title huh?  But that is a beautiful cover by Boris Vallejo who did pencils, inks and colors.  Beautiful.  Gross and Disgusting was written by Gerard Jones together with Len Strazewski.  Norm Breyfogle supplied the pencils and inks.  (By the way Norm Breyfogle suffered a stroke a while back.  I hope he's recovering and getting better, all the best Mr. Breyfogle)  Prime kind of reminds me of Shazam, Captain Marvel from DC Comics.  Similar concept, different method. Prime was created by Bob Jacob, Gerard Jones,
Len Strazewski and Norm Breyfogle.  He debuted in Malibu Comics' Prime #1.  He was also a member of Ultraforce, all published under Malibu's Ultraverse imprint.  Back in 2002, it was announced that a Prime movie was in the works, well it's 2015, so I'm kinda sorta thinking that the Prime movie MIGHT not be coming soon :)

What else did I find, well, take a gander at this:
Recognize this?  This is X-O Manowar Vol 2, Issue 2.  This issue was written by
Mark Waid and Brian Augustyn, Sean Chen provided the pencils and Tom Ryder supplied the inks.  I really liked and enjoyed this version of X-O Manowar.  I remember I was a little disappointed I couldn't get issue 1 and I dropped this title a few issues after Sean Chen left as penciller.   I never did find out if this X-O Manowar armor had anything to do with the first X-O armor worn by Aric Dacia.  I had followed the original X-O title right up until their Birthquake event.  I really liked this version of the X-O armor but I do believe this title didn't last too long much like the other new Valiant titles which was sad, I believe they really tried but something was lacking.  The condition of this comics is fine, better than I had hoped.  So yeah I'm going to keep this one and the rest as well.

Sometimes it's a real trip down  memory lane when you come across something that takes you back.  Having the chance to read these issue in particular was fun.  I enjoyed them.  Now the task for me is to bag and board them properly.  I've got a lot to do but man it's going to be fun reading these gems before they go in the bag.  

Hey thanks for dropping by, I hope you liked the comics I'm shared with you, drop by again for more.  Remember if you like, you can follow this blog on blogspot.com or you can also go to my facebook page.  It's www.facebook.com/thecosmiccomicbookbroadcast/ stop by anytime, you're always welcome here.  Until next time, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...