Friday 19 June 2015

The 32nd Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: Mylites to the rescue or Mylites Part 2

If you read my previous broadcast, you would have read about my recent unboxing of a package I received recently with some Mylites2 bags and backing boards I ordered.  A lot of my comics were in terrible shape because I didn't have any bags or boards.  I felt that it was time to get some bags and boards.  I settled on Mylites 2 and Fullbacks from E Gerber.  I was very hesitant at first to buy the bags and boards but I finally bought them when I saw the state of my comics.  And boy let me tell you, it was the best decision I ever made.  The bags and boards are expensive but they were worth every penny.

Welcome to the 32nd Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast.  I thought I would share a few pics I took of my comics after I bagged and boarded them recently.  I took my time doing it, picking the ones I really wanted to keep and after a few days, I chose these comics.  Okay here we go:
Oh man, the 90's was a great time for comics.  The Age of Apocalypse was upon us and from that era came X Men: Alpha published in February of 1995.  Look at that cover by Joe Madureira.  This issue had a beautiful striking foil wraparound cover.  Joe Mad only did the cover for this issue, the interior art was done by Roger Cruz and Steve Epting.  The comic on its own was already beautiful but when you put it in a mylar bag, well the whole look of the comic just changes and it really pops.
Okay, this is X Men # 45 featuring a beautiful wraparound double-gatefold cover with some special enhancements on the cover, I love those sparkly things.  The cover was done by Andy Kubert and Cam Smith.  In this issue, Rogue and Iceman are on a road trip trying to deal with the things Rogue absorbed from Gambit when she kissed him; Gambit shows up and Rogue decides to leave him and the X-Men for awhile; The connection between Ramey and Mr. Sinister is revealed.  Again the Mylar has done it's work and made this cover pop. Again.
Another X Men Issue, this one is X Men # 50 and thanks to the Mylar, the cover looks magnificent.  This is a  double-sized issue. Gold tinted chrome cover that differs only slightly from the regular issue. The easiest way to tell the limited edition is that the UPC box on the back cover reads "1 of 4500 Copies" rather than having a bar code. The cover is by Andy Kubert and cam Smith, they make a great team, don't they? In this issue four X-Men are transported to another dimension where they are confronted by Onslaught's herald, Post, who tests them in battle for his master's benefit.
This is Fantastic Four #2.  The cover is by writer/artist extraordinaire Alan Davis and Inker extraordinaire Mark Farmer.  I loved this volume of Fantastic Four, this is the Volume after the Heroes Reborn issues, as you can see this is part of Marvel's Heroes Return, I loved how Scott Lobdell scripted this series and what else can I say about the artwork, it was magnificent! In this issue with the Four Freedoms Plaza destroyed, the FF move in to their warehouse on Pier Four; Johnny searches for Lyja in vain; as the FF get settled in their new home, they are attacked by Iconoclast, a villain only Sue can see. Again the mylar did it's work, the colors popped and this just looks beautiful, absolutely beautiful!!
Hahaha, I love this cover and the blurb: Mister Fantastic Goes Ape!  This is Fantastic Four # 3.  In this issue, Reed does research on Iconoclast; Reed battles the Red Ghost's Super-Apes; the Silver Surfer and the Mole Man sense danger; two reporters investigate the monastery where Dr. Doom once sought refuge, to find the monks have all been killed by Crucible.  I wasn't too happy with this issue as it marked the last issue for this creative team on Fantastic Four but the new team was equal to the task.  Look at that cover! It POPS, doesn't it?

I'm glad that I finally made the choice to buy the Mylites 2, imagine if I had waited. Again.  I think I had done that, all these comics would have suffered some sort of damage. I'm lucky, really lucky that I can save these comics.  I'm now thinking about getting more mylites for the rest of my collection.  I'm already planning to get more and digging out more comics to be bagged and boarded.  When I do get around to doing that, I'll talk about it here on the broadcast.

Now before I go, I wanna tell you about a kickstarter project by Kieron Dwyer and Todd Rinker.  The project is called West Portal, The Traumagical Odyssey of Dexter Allen. 

In West Portal, meet Dexter Allen, a man slogging through the middle of his life with a disappointing job, a disintegrated marriage, and a young daughter to whom he can barely relate.   Worse, he's beset by strange visions, finding himself in fictional worlds and interacting with fictional characters -- each more fantastically frustrating than the last.

Explore the blurry lines between fiction and reality and wrestle with the very nature of creation and creativity! Join Dex on his misadventures in West Portal -- the new creator-owned monthly comic series by Kieron Dwyer and Todd Rinker!

To support this new creator owned monthly comic series, go to: 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...