Tuesday 19 May 2015

The Twentieth Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: Superman

This is the Twentieth Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast.  I mentioned this in my older broadcast about how I found that some of my comics were just not in good condition because I didn't put them in any plastic bags.  If you're a comic collector, invest in some good plastic bags.  And backing boards for your comics.

Well I finally took my own advice and I placed an order for some bags and boards, when I get them, I'll do an unboxing and show you what i bought for my collection.  For this edition of the broadcast, I wanted to show you some old comics in my collection.  Yes as the title mentioned, they are Superman comics.
This is one of those old Superman comics that I still have.  This is Superman #17 (This is the 1987 Superman series)  I remember seeing this in a discount bin and I knew I wanted it.  The condition is pretty good and it's a direct edition.  How this direct edition comic found itself in a bookstore's discount bin is still a mystery to me.  I'm just happy I found this issue.

This issue is titled: Cries in the night.  As you can see on the cover, it simply says By John Byrne.  That's because John Byrne wrote, drew, inked and provided the cover to the issue that featured the return of the Silver Banshee.  If I haven't mentioned it in my past broadcasts, well I am a huge John Byrne fan.  That's one of the many reasons why this issue was  a nice surprise find.  I'm thankful the comic is still in good condition.  Oh this one is a keeper for sure.
I just love this cover.  This is Adventures of Superman # 440 titled: The Hurriedier I go.  This issue was written by John Byrne, penciled by Jerry Da Ordster Ordway, inks by Dennis Janke, colours by Tony Tollin and Letters by Albert DeGuzman.

I love this issue,  it's got a great little meeting between Batman and Superman.

Batman gives Superman the results of the mysterious scrapbook, noting that he now knows Superman is Clark Kent, with Superman responding that he knows Batman is Bruce Wayne.(!!!) That little meeting was just legendary.  Superman then gives the scrapbook to Ma Kent for safekeeping, only to find out it was hers all along, and that it's been missing for awhile.  Condition wise, pretty good for a book i bought in the early nineties.  I am definitely going to bag and board this issue once I get the new bags and boards.  Great cover don't you think??
Wish I could say the same for this issue.  The Adventures of Superman 455.  This was part of the whole Superman in exile storyline when Superman decided to leave Earth.  Titled: Heritage, this issue was written by Jerry Ordway, pencils by Dan Jurgens (yes,that Dan Jurgens) and inks by Dennis Janke.

I think I bought this issue for a number of reasons.  One was to follow the whole Exiled story line and that cover by Jerry Ordway.  In this issue, the alien gladiator Draaga battles Mongul for control of Warworld. Superman bonds with the Eradicator. The Daily Planet staff tries to figure out what is wrong with Clark Kent who isn't Clark Kent, the plot thickens.


Condition wise, ummm not so good, the major thing about this issue is the tear and stain on the cover.  That damned price tag ripped a piece of the cover when I tried in vain to peel it off cleanly, arrgh.  I hate those price tags.  Oh how I loathe those price tags which brings me to this issue.  What sort of industrial strength glue did they use anyway??


When John Byrne left Superman, Roger Stern took over as writer and one of my favorite artists took over as the artist of Superman, Kerry Gammill.  This is Superman #32.

Titled Gladiator, this issue was written by Roger Stern, Pencils: Kerry Gammill, Inks: Dennis Janke, Colors: Glenn Whitmore and Letters: John Costanza.  In this issue, Superman battles and defeats Mongul. The Cleric uses the Eradicator to teleport Superman from Warworld. Jimmy Olsen runs into Clark Kent, who is really Matrix.  

Again the only thing that bugs me is the tear and stain on the cover, same thing happened here, price tag took bits of the cover.  Now around this time DC started placing Superman on the cover just under the DC bullet.  At the time I thought they were just following Marvel Comics.  Looking back now, it looks cool.


That's just a few of the comics I found recently, they've been locked away in a closet for years.  It's been a nice trip down memory lane for me reading them again, it's been fun and painful as well seeing the condition of some of these comics.  Wish I had taken better care of them.  

Thanks for taking the time to read about my collection of comics. I'll be back with more comics from my little collection to share with you.  Drop by again for another Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast, you know you're always welcome to drop by.

See you next time, until then, up up and awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...