Monday 25 May 2015

The 26th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: Starman

Welcome to the 26th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast.  For this edition of the broadcast, I'm going to talk about a book I came across recently. I believe I bought this comic book many many years ago and I think I got it from a local book store, which is a big surprise for me because this is a number 1 issue and that is a rarity, many a times you can't get a Number 1 issue those days.  Usually they're either sold out or they never get to the book shops.  So I was really surprised to find this comic:
This is Starman #1.  If I'm not mistaken, this issue was released in 1988.  As mentioned, I believe I found this issue in a book store or news vendor I guess some people would call it.  I think I managed to tear off the price tag without tearing the cover.  The condition of Starman # 1 looks pretty good and I am quite happy this comic still looks okay.

If the name Starman sound familiar, well Starman is a DC Comics character.  The name Starman was used by several character but it is mainoly used by Ted Knight and his two sons David and Jack.  The character was created by Gardner Fox and artist Jack Burnley.  The original Starman who by the way looked very different than the one you see on this cover was Ted Knight.  Starman first appeared in a comic called Adventures Comics # 61 from April of 1941 (!!).  The original Starman was an astronomer who invented a gravity rod which later was reinvented as the cosmic rod.  The rod allows Starman to fly and manipulate energy.  His costume was also different.  I think the original Starman wore a red and green costume and a distinctive "finned" helmet.

































That's a nice look at the different incarnations of Starman, drawn by Tony Harris and Alex Ross.  A nice look at all the different Starmen over the years.  Okay back to this Starman and issue #1.  This issue was written by Roger Stern, art by Tom Lyle and Bob Smith, colors by Julianna Ferriter and letters by Bob Pinaha.  The issue was titled: Grassroots Hero.

Now this Starman is Will Payton, by the way Will Payton was created by Roger Stern and Tom Lyle.  Payton gained his powers of flight, super strength, a mild amount of shapeshifting, and the ability to alter his appearance and fire bolts of energy from his hands after being struck by a bolt of energy from a statelite in space. He was in his early twenties and worked as a magazine copy editor. The satellite had been launched by the Hutchison Institute, and the powers had been intended for their team of super-agents the Power Elite. Despite his short career, he gained a good reputation among other heroes, even assisting Superman on some occasions, such as helping him recharge after an encounter with Parasite.

I don't remember what happened to this incarnation of Starman, Will Payton. After issue 1, I did try to locate the new issues but I never saw anything new, I thought the series was cancelled but I was obviously mistaken.  The series went on for 45 issues featuring the Will Payton Starman.  What happened to Starman?  I did some research and it seems that Will Payton seemingly died fighting Eclipso.
I'm not sure how popular or well known this incarnation of Starman is out there but I think I'll keep this issue.  I think I'll file this comic under the obscure Number One's.  Starman.  Do you have these forgotten, obscure Number One's in your collection.  Yeah this is mine.

Thanks for dropping by for the Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast, thanks for reading, drop by again next time, follow if you want.  Until next time, you take care.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...