Friday 15 May 2015

The Thirteenth Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: Even More Gems!

Hi, welcome to another Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast.  Recently I noticed that some of my comics which are kept in a cupboard had some stains on them.  This is because some of my comics were not kept in any plastic bags, so it’s my own fault I guess.  Well I had to move them out to check them out, I did and found some gems I guess.  Some comics I forgot I even had.  It's a lot of fun discovering and sometimes rediscovering comics you forgot you had. 

Like this little gem:



From January of 1971, came Superman # 233.  The cover was penciled and inked by Neal Adams.  The story was called: Superman Breaks Loose, written by Denny O’Neil, drawn by Curt Swan and Inked by Murphy Anderson.  In this issue, a scientific experiment turns all the kryptonite on Earth to iron, as Clark Kent moves from newspaper to television journalism.

Condition wise, it’s not in the best of shape, it’s been thru a lot I guess before I got my hands on this issue, to add to all the spine damage is the stamp on the cover.  Obviously the store owner stamped it.  Although it’s not a key issue or anything the cover is striking and it is by Neal Adams.  Can’t go wrong with a Neal Adams cover.  

My next discovery is this issue:

West Coast Avengers #1 from 1985, I remember when I heard this issue was released.  I wanted this so bad and I finally got it.  One reason I wanted this issue so bad is because of the Silver Centurion Iron Man Armor.  I knew that the Silver Centurion was recently introduced in the regular Iron Man comics but I didn’t have it and I just wanted to see the suit.  Well I did, I bought it and yes, as you can see, it came complete with …..ugghhh …sniff ....a price tag and after a while I decided to use tape to hold the book…..sniff…together.  What was I thinking?????

The cover and interior art is by Allen Milgrom and Joe Sinnott.  Story by Steve Engelhart.  This issue was titled Teammates and I must have read this issue hundreds of times (well it seems that way from the book’s condition)  I checked out the interior and yes, the tape is turning the pages dark and it’s peeling.  Well I still like this issue, it’s a minor gem but a gem all the same in this small collection of mine.  Just wish I kept them in better condition.  Thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...