Wednesday 24 February 2016

The 67th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: Uncovering More Gems Part 2.

I had the hardest time thinking up the title for this edition of the broadcast.  I was leaning towards using a movie title but I thought Nahhh.  I finally decided to use Gems, The Awakening Part 2 but after a lot of thought, I decided that was a little cheesy, okay very cheesy, I changed it to Uncovering More Gems Part 2.  Remember I started talking about what I call Gems because a few months ago, I found some comics I had forgotten about, I totally forgot I bought these comics and some I totally forgot I had in my collection.  Early last year I saw that all my comics were not in great condition.  At the time I put all my comics in a closet.  Some without backing boards and plastic bags, some were in bags but the majority of them were just laying in the closet.  I also found my comics in big plastic boxes.  They were in bad condition too, no bags, no boards.  I decided to move them out to the living room.


What you see in this picture is what I call a rescue mission.  A rescue mission that took up most of the living room for the better part of a year.  Well I was lucky in that I managed to find a few comics that survived after all these years. While I was on this rescue mission, I found a few gems in my collection.  I was surprised and happy that I came across these gems. Very surprised that these comics were still in good condition.

When I found these gems, I decided to get some good bags and boards and rescued as many of my comics as possible.  I think I was able to make two orders of bags and boards and managed to rescue a few of my comics and some gems as well.  So for this edition of the broadcast, here's a few of the Gems I found.

Thanks for dropping by, this is the 67th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast.  Let's start with this, the first "Gem"
Anyone remember this comic?  Challengers Of The Fantastic # 1.  This issue was released in June of 1997 after the major cross over event of Marvel Vs. DC.  After that runaway success, both companies were on friendly terms and put out what they referred to as Amalgam Comics.  I was a sucker for Amalgam Comics and bought whatever I could find.  My main reasons for buying this title was because it featured The Fantastic Four amalgamated with Challengers of The Unknown.  Second reason was the creative team.  This issue was written by Karl Kesel, drawn by Tom Grummett and Al Vey who also did the great cover.  Despite the fact that this issue is not mint, if you notice, there are a few defects , wear and tear on the cover.  Despite all that, I've decide to keep the comic that featured the adventures of Sue "Ace" Storm, Reed "Prof" Richards, Johnny "Red" Storm and Senator Ben "Rocky" Grimm, The Challengers of The Fantastic!!
Here's Wildcats # 50 featuring a cover by Jim Lee and Scott Williams.  What I neglected to show here is that this a wrap around cover by Lee and Williams.  Image comics were all the rage back in the day and I was one of those who jumped on the band wagon.  I think I collected quite a few Wildcats issues right up until this issue and then I stopped.  I realized that the only reason why I collected Wildcats was because of Jim Lee's art and waiting for him to come back to the comic would be an exercise in futility.  The comic is in good condition which was another surprise, yep I'm keeping this one, if for nothing else and for no other reason than to enjoy the art of Lee and Williams.  
This is Stormwatch # 1 not Vol 1 which was released in 1993 but the one released in 1997.  This issue features a cover by Travis Charest.  This version of Stormwatch was written by Warren Ellis with art by Oscar Jimenez and Jason Gorder.  This issue has the dubious distinction of featuring an unauthorized  appearance of Peter Parker and Ben Urich from the Daily Bugle.  If you have this issue, go look it up.  I didn't believe it when I saw it and I thought it was hilarious.
Arcanum # 1 was released in 1997.  Arcanum was written and penciled by Brandon Peterson and a whole army of inkers.  If memory serves, this comic featured a few characters from a Spawn Limited Series also drawn by Brandon Peterson.  It was Mid-evil Spawn or something like.  I bought this comic because it was released by Image and Image was hot at the time.  Arcanum was an interesting concept and was a fun read.  This comic goes into a bag.  Gonna keep it for sure.
Before Marvel Knights, before Joe Quesada became the Editor in Chief of Marvel Comics, Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti published their own comic books in Event Comics.  The first character from Event Comics was Ash! The cover to this issue was penciled by Quesada, inked by Palmiotti and colored by Reuben Rude.  Ashley Quinn is a firefighter turned hero.  I am a huge fan of Quesada and Palmiotti and when I found out these guys were self publishing, I jumped on the band wagon and I never regretted it, great concept and really beautiful artwork.  Issue # 1 featured a beautifully drawn and colored wraparound cover.  I love this comic.  
This is The Darkness # 1.  When it was announced that Marc Silvestri was going to pencil The Darkness, that was all I needed to know.  Top Cow at the time was known for their high quality art and colors and the fact that Marc Silvestri himself is the penciler plus the fact that Garth Ennis is the writer, well I jumped in to this comic too.  I think I stayed with it for as long as I could.  The quality of Top Cows' comics was the main draw for me.  Apart from Wildstorm, Top Cow really stood out with their releases. Unfortunately upon close inspection, there is a lot of wear and tear in this issue but I am definitely going to bag and board this one.  Great first issue.  
Anyone recognize this comic book?  This is Starman # 1 from the year 1994, not to be confused with a Starman comic released in 1988.  Two totally different characters.  This Starman is Jack Knight.  At the time Starman had received a lot of praise from critics for the story and art.  Storywise, Starman was written by James Robinson and drawn by Tony Harris and Wade Von Grawbadger.  By the way Tony Harris also painted that cover for Issue # 1.  A beauty ain't it?  Already bagged and boarded this comic.  Definitely a keeper.
This is Rogue # 1 which was released in 1995, this is the first issue in a four part limited series written by Howard Mackie, penciled by the late Mike Wieringo and inked by Terry Austin.  I think I only bought three issue, missed out on issue # 4.  I can't seem to find the other two issues, only this one.  This first issue has a nifty foil enhanced cover.  I'm a huge fan of Mike Wieringo's art which was the reason why I bought this series, just wish I had the whole set.  
I was a little surprised to find this comic in my collection.  The first Issue of Steampunk by Joe Kelly, Chris Bachalo and Richard Friend.  I recall that I started buying Steampunk because of Chris Bachalo's art, he had just finished his stint on the Uncanny X Men and naturally he went to Image with Joe Kelly and released Steampunk.  Steampunk was really interesting at first but eventually the strange and heavy dialogue combined with Chris Bachalo's artwork which looked as if it were fighting with the word balloons made me stop.  I think I have a few issue of Steampunk. Somewhere.  Hopefully I'll be able to locate them.

And that's it for this edition of the Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast, hope you enjoyed reading about some the "Gems" I found.  Speaking of Gems, if you're looking to read something different and maybe even want to be a part of a new comic project out there, then why not drop by this site


Have a look at Alter Life by Caleb Thusat.  Alter Life is a tale of love and redemption. An everyman named Jake learning to live with past regrets and use his newfound power to bring meaning to his existences. 
 Guys, meet Jake.

Jake has the chance to find the perfect existence, become a hero, or sink to the lowest depths of humanity.  You have a chance to be a part of this new exciting project by backing this project on kickstarter. Drop by and have a look.  You wouldn't want to miss out on Alter Life.

And if you have even more time, drop my newly established youtube channel, just look for Comicbook Broadcaster and have a look at my video.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPW1zowTtkk6DGmSAvEJ_ZA

Yeah there's only one video there now but I am working on a second video as of right.....now.  If you'd like, you can like the video and subscribe to my channel.   You can also follow me right here on The Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast which will be back soon with more comics.  So until then as usual you take care my friend.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...