Saturday 3 October 2015

The 50th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: A Milestone Part 1

I don't like starting anything with the words I'm sorry but in this case, it's necessary, I have not been updating the broadcast.  In fact I totally disappeared but I have a good reason for that, not an excuse but a reason, I was sick, under the weather, not well, down but not out, all the cliches that's out there I had it for the past few weeks.  Not just a few days but the past few weeks.  I hate it when I get these flu bugs or in some cases super flu bugs.  It knocked me out for far too long.  I wanted to update this blog but the body and mind was not cooperating especially with all the drugs floating in my system at the time.

Well, I am back.  Apologies for not being able to fulfill my promise to keep this broadcast going.  Welcome to my 50th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast, yes, it is a Milestone for me.  It is the 50th broadcast.  If you recall, I started this broadcast as a way for me to share my hobby Comic Books.  I love then, always have and always will.  I wanted to do this years ago BUT procrastination is my first and middle name.  I can find all sorts of reasons not to do anything and still wanting to do it, except when it comes to food, I can find all sorts of reasons to go for seconds and third even though I knew I shouldn't.  This blog or broadcast as I call it started after I went through a really bad, rough and scary patch in my life.  One that still scares me to this very day.  I had a huge health scare.

Trust me when I say lying in a hospital, staring at the ceiling of a hospital listening to the sounds of the machines around you is not fun, in fact it is scary.  After I checked out of the hospital, I decided to go back to reading comics again, I had given up reading AND collecting years ago.  While I was recovering, I just re read some old comics and it gave me something to do as I was told to rest and recover before going back to work.  My comics were my companions in the months leading up to my eventual return to work. Sick or not, we all have to make a living some how I guess.  Finally the day came when I went back to work, I wasn't allowed to drive, I was told it was too dangerous and stressful, it took me a while to get back on my feet, to have that usual confidence in my steps.  It was a long and slow process.  Months passed by and I slowly recovered.  I had loved ones, family and friends who helped me.  They were kind and very patient with me (Thank You).

One of my friends, gave me a Trade Paper back to read when I was in the hospital, his name is Justin.  I must have read it like a hundred times and when i wanted to give it back to him, he said: "No, Keep it."  it was the trade paper back to this Marvel Series released in 2003, it's called 1602.
I didn't know at the time but this comic helped me get through the long nights alone in the hospital.  Sometime I would wake up in the middle of the night and realized that I couldn't get back to sleep.  So I read 1602 again and again and again.  Thanks Justin.

So a few months passed when Justin calls me and tells me about an event happening in Singapore called The Singapore Toy, Game and Comic Convention.  Well, I had no idea what it was.  he told me what it was, I was intrigued when he asked if I wanted to go. Remember I am the sort of person who can find many many reasons to not do anything but this time I thought to myself, I'm going.  It was still a few months away, so we said we'll keep it in mind and talk as it drew closer.  Well one day Justin sends me this:
That year the organisers of this event started inviting artists, comic book artists to the convention.  I was intrigued but then Justin sends me this:
 I was like Yeah?  It's happening August 31st to the 1st of September.  Then he says look who else is going to be there:
I was like: For Real???? Joe Madureira??? David Mack?? Dexter Soy??  Really??  Yep he says, they are going to be at the Singapore Toys, Games and Comics Convetion.  Well, we knew that instant that we were going.  At the time I invited a colleague of mine who's into comic and Toys to come with us but that didn't pan out.  We decided that we should go and in the days leading up to the event, we scrambled to look for our Joe Madureira comics and so on.  Tickets were purchased, airline tickets and hotel accommodations were made, we were ready, Singapore here we come.
Well, the day came and we headed off to Singapore.  Conventions were something I always wanted to attend, in particular Comic conventions but I never had the chance.  My one dream is to go to the grand-daddy of all cons, the San Diego Comic Con.  Maybe one day.
 Okay the day came, we arrived and went to the venue, it was a great location for a con, it was huge and just perfect.  We were ushered into the back of the main hall and asked to wait for the signal for us to enter.  Now if you're wondering how come it's such a small crowd, well that's cause we bought the VIP tickets for this convention.  The people you see here are the VIP ticket holders, we were asked to go this location as we would be allowed to enter the main hall first.  YES!!  I was excited, come on it was a first time for me.  Just look at the face of excitement here.......well I was excited, just take my word for it.

The ones holding the normal tickets were asked to wait outside the main hall and man the line was long but no one seemed to mind at all, especially this guy who stood up and started dancing.  He was doing his own thing, that's for sure.

Well, finally after a few minutes, the doors opened and who do we see?
None other than David Mack!!  The creator of Kabuki himself.  He had his own booth at the STGCC where he had his comics for sale.  At the time he had just done Daredevil End Of Days with Brian Michael Bendis.  He also had copies of his art (both original and prints) for sale.  We went up to him and introduced ourselves, he is a really nice guy, very friendly and genuine.  He was happy to see all the fans rushing into the main hall and stopping by his booth.
He bought a few prints and asked for his autograph and he was very obliging.  We asked if we could have a picture with him and yes, he was obliging.  That's me, my buddy Justin and David Mack himself.  A while back I followed David Mack on twitter and posted this picture, he favorited and then re tweeted this picture.  That put a big smile on my face.  It was a great start to my first comic convention.
Oh I just wanted to throw this shot in, while waiting to have our picture with David Mack, we were talking to this guy who brought this "little" item with him.  I think he made it brought it with him to the convention.  I asked if I could hold it and it was heavy.  He lugged this thing around all over the convention center.  The guy is strong.  Apparently I scared a few people holding this thing the way I did, look at the guy at the door.  I'll bet he was wondering: " What in the.......???"
There was a lot to see at the convention and I was like a kid in a candy store, the action figures were fully represented that year.  Iron Man was HOT!! He was everywhere.
 And when I say everywhere, I mean everywhere, Iron Man 3 was coming out soon and for the STGCC they brought a little display.
The Hall of Armor was a main attraction and I was thankful that I had a chance to see it.  The Iron Man 3 display was very impressive, very very impressive.  Again I was a kid in a candy store.
One of the attractions that year was this, the Iron Man Mark VII Gold Edition.  We heard that a group of really hardcore collectors camped outside the Main Hall the night before just to be first to grab this hot item.
While Justin and I were walking around, this caught my eye and i told myself, Yeah I gotta have my picture taken here and then I spotted someone.
I was like: Is that?  No that couldn't be.  Nah, it can't be...but it was, Adi Granov.  it was ADI GRANOV, the guy who drew Iron Man: Extremis and so many other titles.  He was brought in by Play Imaginative just for the convention, exclusively for their booth.
Well, Justin and I joined the line for this booth, it was a long line but it's Adi Granov and he had some prints and original artwork for sale.  It was a long line but worth the wait, definitely.
Just two of the many prints and original artwork he was selling that day, I bought the Iron Man poster on the right.  In fact I bought two, one for myself and one for my colleague who couldn't join us for this trip.  Justin bought one as well.  I was a happy camper that day and as an added bonus, I asked Mr. Granov to sign the posters for me and if I could have a picture taken with him.
Another friendly and gracious artist, he was very patient as we all wanted his autograph and he had a very long line after Justin and I left.  There were so many people lined up to meet this talented artist.  You'll see in all my shots, I was sweating non stop, I can't remember if it was because I was excited to see all these stars or whether it was hot (it was a fully air conditioned huge hall) or maybe I was just nervous but I was perspiring like crazy that day and the day was just getting started.

After we got our posters signed, we walked around some more.  There was still a lot to see and booths to visit but we were headed to the Artists Walk of Fame.
It was time to meet Joe Mad, Joe Madureira aaaaand that's what I'll talk about in the 51st Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast which will be out soon.  This time I will keep to my word.  Trust me.  I enjoyed taking this walk down memory lane, I hope you enjoyed it as well, stay tuned for my next broadcast, until then, as always, you take care.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...