Wednesday 14 October 2015

The 52nd Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast: A Milestone Part 3

Why have I been calling the last few updates A Milestone?  Well for two reasons, One reason was I'm happy that I have made 50 posts in this broadcast.  It's a start, no a half way point for me to go further and share with you this hobby of mine, Comic Books.  Second is because I had a chance to go to my first ever Comic Con (well they called it a pop culture con) and I met quite a few artists and it was an unforgettable experience for me. Unfortunately I couldn't go to the last two STGCC's in Singapore but I am hoping that next year I will be able to attend.  I missed out on meeting quite a few creators in the last two STGCCs but I hope that next year I can go.

Okay where was I, oh yeah, I met David Mack, well my buddy Justin and I met David Mack as we were entering the main hall of the STGCC, yeah I mentioned that in the 50th Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast.  Well, we also decided to buy a Daredevil comic and go to the artists walk of fame which is where all the invite artists would be signing autographs and such.

As I mentioned in the previous broadcast, Justin and I bought what the organisers called The VIP Tickets which had some freebies and perks, one of the perks being we could get ahead in the line to meet the artists.  We already used one to meet Joe Madureira, next we waited in line for David Mack.
I decided to ask David Mack as someone who has been in the comics industry, how can someone out there get started in comics?  He said that an aspiring artist should draw and draw and draw, get reference material and just draw.  These days there are so many avenues to get your art noticed, the internet has done wonders for young up and coming artists.  Great advice.  I walked away a happy comic book fan with my autographed copy of Daredevil.  I was happy.
I even had my picture taken with him. 
Justin also had his copy of Daredevil autographed by David Mack.  He was such a gracious gentleman, he took the time to talk to two comic book fans and answered our questions as well.  It was a good day.  I was happy, really pleased that I made the trip to the STGCC.  It was worth it. In the course of the next day and a half, we met more creators and personalities at the STGCC.  Here, have a look:
We met the lovely Vampy Bit Me, famous cosplayer here in her Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets Jun/ Princess costume, so lovely, friendly and out going. 
Also appearing at the Artists Walk Of Fame was Nathan Hamill who did this sketch for me, the One eared Rabbit Bongo.  Who's Nathan Hamill, he is an illustrator, he is a toy designer and he is Mark Hamill's Son, yes THAT Mark Hamill.  Yes, one of the stars of a little movie called Star Wars.  Again I was happy.....
Nathan Hamill also did a Bart Simpson sketch for Justin.  I couldn't believe our luck, meeting such  wonderful and talented people. 
Later Justin and I met with Dexter Soy.  Dexter was an architecture student in Pangasinan, a province in the Philippines, whose art first came to the attention of Marvel when Budjette Tan, author of Philippines comic book Trese, posted one of Dexter's pieces on Twitter. Marvel's Senior Vice President of Creator & Content Development took notice and asked for more of his art and try-out pages. Editor Steve Waker saw his work and offered him a position as illustrator for the 2012 relaunch of Captain Marvel.  Justin and I bought an issue of Spider Man he drew and he autographed it for us and he even took the time to do some sketches for the both of us.  I asked for a sketch of Iron Man.

























I also had a chance to meet C.B. Cebulski, he was at the time, the Talent Liason for Marvel, currently he is the Senior Vice President, Creator and Content Developer Marvel.
I also met Thor, well Lady Thor I guess.  Lots of cosplayers were in attendance.
That's Justin and yours truly again, this shot was taken after we had attended a forum on Marvel: Your Universe by C.B. Cebulski.  I even had a chance to ask a question.
 Well, that's a look at yours truly as we were ready to leave the magnificent Marina Bay Sands in Singapore.  The Singapore Toy Game and Comic Convention 2013 did not disappoint.  It was what we had hoped for and more.  I walked away with many fond memories, posters, autographed comic books, an action figure and comics of course but the memories will always stay with me.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to attend the STGCC these past two years and I am very disappointed but there's always next year.  One day, one day I hope to go to the grand daddy of them all, The San Diego Comic Con but that's a dream in the far distant future.  Fingers crossed.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this little walk down memory lane for me.  Thanks for dropping by and having a look at the Co(s)mic Comic Book Broadcast.  I'll be back soon with another update.  Thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...