Sunday 31 March 2019

Your 102nd Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Hey, what's up Comic Fans!
Welcome to the 102nd Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast. For this edition of the B'Cast, I'm going to talk about a comic book I bought a few years ago, well more than just a few years ago.  
I'm trying to recall if I bought this issue first before I started buying the back issues of this title. I'm trying to remember which came first and having no luck whatsoever recalling which is which. 
I have this weird habit of reading a comic book out of sequence. Happened to me a long time ago when I walked into a real comic book shop and saw Secret Wars # 12 (the first limited series) and read it from cover to cover. After that I went and found the other 11 issues. It's a weird thing to do, I know. 
Being in a place that doesn't have a shop that sells comics makes it hard for anyone to keep track of their favorite titles. I bought my comics sporadically. I missed out on so many great titles over the years. 
Okay, here's the issue I'm talking about. 
This is the cover to Daredevil # 270 (published in September 1989) by John Romita Jr and Al Williamson. 
I saw this issue in some book store and I immediately bought it.  I was a huge John Romita Jr fan and I loved his work on the Uncanny X-Men. So seeing his artwork here, I grabbed it. 
This issue is also significant because it also featured The Amazing Spider-Man, a character Jr. Jr worked on. 
Second, he was working with writer Ann Nocenti and ultra talented penciled/ inker Al Williamson. They made a great creative team on Daredevil.
Third, this issue featured the first appearance of Blackheart. 
Blackheart was created by Ann Nocenti and Jr. Jr.  This issue marked his first appearance in the Marvel Universe?  Now, just who is Blackheart? 
Well, he's the son of Mephisto.  Actually Mephisto created a son from the energy of evil. 
In his first appearance, Blackheart attempts to corrupt Daredevil and then Spider-Man who helps him out. 
I love how this issue starts out. Ann Nocenti weaves a tale about a brutal murder on a hill which becomes a site for many crimes and atrocities. 
 Eventually the hill becomes a place filled with myths and rumors and eventually become a place to be fearful of. It becomes evil.
I won't spoil it for you, in case you haven't read this issue, try and find it.
Meanwhile, Daredevil is feeling like his old self again after he was put through a blender for the past few issues. He's been through quite a few ordeals. As DD gets his body back into top form,  perhaps his mind will follow. I was really intrigued by this page by Jr. Jr and Al Williamson. As I said I've always been a fan but this was the first time for me seeing their artwork. 
And I absolutely loved it.  If I'm not mistaken, I decided that I need to buy the back issues of this title as soon as possible. I did. Never regretted it. 
On this page DD mentioned Inferno and how his life was shattered and how he had to leave Hell's Kitchen. I knew I had to get those issue. Okay back to this issue. 
As DD thinks about his life and how he's going to put it back together again, he notices a scent,  something burning,  something foul with a hint of Rose incense.  He detects movement but no heartbeat, that's when Blackheart attacks!
And as luck would have it, Peter Parker happened to be riding a bus nearby and Pete's spider sense goes off. 
Spider-Man shows up in the nick of time to save DD and they quickly team up to defeat Blackheart. 
As DD and Spider-Man attempt to defeat Blackheart, DD is slowly being possessed by Blackheart whose plan was to have the hero kill him as a way of corrupting the hero. 
Despite his best effort to corrupt DD, Blackheart was not able to do so thanks to Spider-Man. As a crowd gathers round, Blackheart realises that the crowd's eyes are draining his powers.
Blackheart retreats as more people gather around the scene. 
If you get the chance, pick up this issue. It was this issue that got me to buy the back issues of Daredevil especially the Ann Nocenti/Jr.Jr and Al Williamson's run on Daredevil.
I was really disappointed when Jr. Jr left the X-Men. I really enjoyed his work on that title, so I was really happy to see his work here on Daredevil. 
Oh I'm sure you know that this wasn't Blackheart's only appearance on Daredevil. He would return to bug DD again and even returned to bug The Punisher, Ghost Rider and Wolverine in a one shot which was also penciled by John Romita Jr.
Hey, thanks for dropping by and joining me as I reminisce about Daredevil # 270. My copy of this issue is in bad shape as I must have read it a few times... Well more than a few times. 
This was to me a great time to be a comic reader as the stories and artwork were top notch. TThanks again for dropping by. 
I'll see you again next time for another B'Cast. Until then, take care Comic fans! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your 116th Co(s)mic ComicBook B'Cast.

Here's a blast from the past. It's a classic featuring my favorite wall crawler and one of my favorite super-villains. This is t...